Monday, October 27, 2008

100 things and one Dalmatian

It has been more than a year since I last did a 100 things list so here we go:

  1. I have lived in the Blue Mountains for more than four years now
  2. But I have not been on one bush walk up here
  3. I intend on going to the Jenolan Caves but that doesn't really count
  4. I have a typical Mountains view from my study: trees, bush and the railway line
  5. I hate the sound of trucks air braking on the highway
  6. And the big coal trains braking. They sound like they are derailing inside my lounge room
  7. But there are so many wonderful things about living in the Mountains
  8. The Medicare office has a queue of two people, maximum
  9. It is a busy day if you have to wait at the RTA
  10. And if you can't find a car space in the first place you look then there is something seriously big happening in Springwood
  11. The lady in the Newsagent knows my name even though I have never remembered hers
  12. Gloria Jeans always has someone I know there
  13. The supermarket queue is never longer than two people
  14. Baker's Delight at Springwood makes the best Berry Scones
  15. My kids go to school with kangaroos and wallabies in the playground
  16. I have space to own all my animals
  17. I do wish there was space to keep a horse
  18. But doesn't everyone?
  19. I am slowly getting over my fear of snakes
  20. But I still REALLY hate leaches
  21. Probably why I haven't been bushwalking
  22. Although I did once spot a leach in the carpark at Springwood
  23. And I still use that carpark
  24. So it can't be that bad
  25. My children have suffered a lot of sickness this year
  26. And I have suffered with them
  27. Since I got Molly in June I think I have had someone sick in the family just about every week
  28. It is VERY boring and stressful
  29. Especially when the sickness requires multiple trips to the hospital and surgery
  30. I have a sick child today, hence the big blog post
  31. This year marks the 20th year of my being a Christian
  32. I didn't want to believe the Bible
  33. I worked really hard to convince myself that it was a piece of fiction written by some really stupid people a long time ago
  34. I worked on convincing myself for more than a year that God was not real
  35. In the end, after reading a lot of books and some of the Bible I could no longer ignore the facts
  36. God is the ruler of the universe and I have been created by him to live his way
  37. But for a long time I had been rejecting his kingship
  38. So twenty years ago I accepted I was wrong and asked God to forgive me for rejecting him
  39. I can tell you now that after twenty years of trusting God he has not let me down
  40. Some very bad things have happened in my life
  41. A very special friend lost her husband in a plane crash and her children lost a father
  42. And then a year later I lost my brother in a plane crash
  43. Several people asked me how I could trust a God who allowed these things to happen to people I loved
  44. I trust that God is in control of EVERYTHING that happens in our world
  45. Even the bad things
  46. I do not always know why things happen and I certainly wish that things were different sometimes
  47. But the Bible says that God is working for good in all things, for those who trust him, to make us more like Jesus
  48. And the Bible says we will all stand before him and give an account of our lives
  49. My life would never meet God's perfect standards
  50. I have failed in many ways to love others and to obey him
  51. But I know I have been forgiven because Jesus died instead of me
  52. And I hope that as a result of my love for God others will come to know this truth too
  53. I turned forty this year and I am hoping to trust God for at least another forty years
  54. Imagine how many more animals there are to love in that time!
  55. I wonder if I could list them all now?
  56. I think I have owned five cats, four dogs, four rabbits, lots of mice, too many gold fish and tropical fish, hermit crabs, two rats, lots of budgies, finches, chooks and ducks and probably some others I have forgotten
  57. I have never owned a snake or any kind of reptile
  58. No ferrets either
  59. And I have never owned a horse
  60. I did have a goat for two days. I found it on the road and the Council came and collected it
  61. My daughter has riding lessons
  62. It hasn't taken her long to surpass my limited knowledge
  63. I am secretly hoping that one day we will live somewhere she can keep a horse
  64. And some cows and of course more chooks
  65. Wow, I am only up to 65
  66. This is harder than I thought
  67. Ok, time for some confessions
  68. My garden is basically just a weed infested mess
  69. The lawn is only green because there are so many weeds
  70. And the front of the house is full of agapanthus and weeds I dare not mention on a public forum
  71. I dream of getting a crop duster in and spraying the lot with some serious round-up and just starting all over again
  72. I am slowly getting over my fear of chemical warfare
  73. I am gearing up to treat my birds with moxidectin and my weeds with glyphosate
  74. Last time I poisoned my lawn was when we lived in the city and I ended up with huge dead patches because my lawn was the type you are not meant to 'weed and feed'
  75. Who knows what will happen this time?
  76. I am hoping I won't have disaster photos to post in a few weeks
  77. It has always been my dream to own a Dalmatian
  78. And to have one good enough to show and breed
  79. But I have decided to have Molly desexed
  80. I am not convinvced that I would be able to fit raising a litter of puppies in to my schedule
  81. And I know that if one of the puppies needed to be returned I would have trouble accepting another dog into the family
  82. So Molly was booked for the op this week
  83. And then I got a sick child
  84. So she will be off to the vet next week
  85. I have a cleaner
  86. She comes once a fortnight and she has changed my life
  87. I used to hate that my house always seemed dirty
  88. And now when it seems dirty I know that it wont be long until it gets cleaned
  89. I am hopeless at cleaning the bathroom
  90. I would much rather be mucking out the chook shed than scrubbing a toilet
  91. I love sitting out in my chook pen.
  92. I have set up a special seat just so I can enjoy their company
  93. They are great therapy and their quiet bok bokking never fails to cheer me up
  94. I notice I have nearly finished this list
  95. Which is a good thing because it is quite exhausting thinking of things to say
  96. There is a kookaburra sitting outside my window watching me type
  97. Hunting for bugs amongst the weeds in my garden
  98. They must have such good eyesight
  99. The sun is shining and the weeds are flowering
  100. What more could I want?
  101. Another Dalmatian?

I have just had a look back at my list from last year. I thought I would give you a quick update on some of the points.

  1. I am still doing the grocery shopping
  2. I am still a BYP addict although I had to give up being a moderator
  3. I have now finished all the HP books and need to finish Brisingr
  4. I have now eaten one of my homegrown eggs, at a friends house
  5. I am no longer a Creative Memories consultant
  6. I have enough CM stuff to last a lifetime
  7. I will probably do one of these lists every year

10 comments:

hardygreenwood said...

Wow cool list Lucy. I love reading all of that. Thanks for sharing

Jacqueline said...

I feel so much better reading that you've been here longer than us and haven't done a bush walk! It's been three years and we've done one - when my friend's little boy came to stay. I'm the same with sitting with my chooks - it is just so relaxing. Hope the sickness that's been loitering around you and the little ones disappears soon!

Jacqueline said...

PS Did you finish Brisingr? I've read and re-read the HP books so many times I've lost count!

Lucy C said...

Haven't finished Brisingr yet.
Definitely not as well written as HP.
I will finish it soon though.

Amanda O. said...

I love these kinds of lists... totally with you on the leeches thing. Ewww!!!

Can also sympathize with the choice to have Miss Molly spayed... I've waited erm... over 10 years now, to be in a place I could raise a litter and take back if necessary. Now will have to wait another few as the search for a suitable female takes place as have decided to have Hope spayed.

I didn't know you were a scrapbooker... I only use the scrapbooks from CM but have been scrapping *mumblemumble* years. So relaxing! :-)

Melissa said...

How to say that I laughed, wanted to cry, and laughed, without sounding overly sentimental?

Oh well. I'm trying to get over worrying what other people will think anyway.

I think this might be my favourite blog post of all time.

Lucy C said...

Wow...high praise Melissa.
Thank you.
Amanda, I think we are definitely kindred spirits.
If only I really was your neighbour.

Melissa said...

Back again, to show Jeremy. Second time around, may I just say #26! and 74. Oh yeah. Before I knew how to use a weeding fork, I used Round Up on a small patch of our front garden. Everything in that patch died, and nothing grew there for a year. Now there are more weeds. Weeds, weeds, weeds. That's all there is on our verge. I'm tempted to spray, but I've learned that that solves nothing in the long run.

Lucy C said...

LOL.
I think I want a crop duster to spray my whole block.
My lawn (if you can call it that) is all weeds.

Yes, all of it is weeds.
I am currently just killing the ones that attract bees.

My neighbour recently said to me "You are not really a garden person are you. I think you are more of an animal person".
Poor thing. She has to look at my dead and weed infested garden and listen to my birds and dogs all day long.

Rachael said...

Hi Lucy. I lived in the Blue Mountains for years and was an avid bushwalker but NEVER grew fond of leeches. If you do go, take some salt with you.

Can you get a sheep for the lawn?

Happy 40th.