Friday, December 7, 2007

What I learned at school today

It was Parent/Teacher interviews at our school today. But forget about my kids' progress this year. I learned the identity of one of the frogs in my pond!
My son's teacher is frog mad and his classroom is full of all sorts of amphibians at various stages of development. When I told him what one of my frogs sounded like he knew immediately what it was. We call it "The Bok Bok Frog" but it is more commonly known as the Striped Marsh Frog (Limnodynastes peroni).
After checking out Frogs of Australia I have now concluded that we also have Peron's Tree Frog (Litoria peroni) residing in the world famous Blue Mountains Menagerie Frog Pond.
I think there is one more species yet to be identified but I will need to have another listen to the calls before I work that one out.

No comments: