This morning when I went to feed the birds Pippi Longstocking was missing. My beautiful 40th Birthday RSPCA Birthday Duck was nowhere to be seen. All the others came for a chat and some food but not Pippi.
My immediate thought was that she was dead. But after searching both gardens I could see no sign of anything remotely sinister.
I popped my head over both neighbours' fences hoping that their swimming pools had enticed the pretty one for an early morning dip. Nothing there either.
I searched under all the bushes and shrubs hoping she was secretly nesting but saw nothing.
There was nothing to be done except hope she would turn up in someones yard. (She has a blue RSPCA leg ring so should be identifiable as being owned by someone who cares).
Then, happily, as I cleaned the buckets and ponds she appeared next door. I think she heard the sound of the clean water and knew there would be a Muscovy spa party happening shortly. I don't know where she was but I suspect she has a nest in the Hobbit House garden somewhere. I don't want ducklings at this time of year so I have locked them all out of next door.
Hopefully she won't frighten me like that again.
No comments:
Post a Comment